This project was originally an experiment that revolved around showing data for every cultivar and every city at the same time. This, much like my first project, is written in Java on a program called “Processing”. This image created a sense of scale for a viewer of the size of rye kernels across the entire data set. Then using colour, I add another level of data by comparing instances of ergot growth across all of the cities and cultivars.
On the whole I was very impressed with this project. I was excited that it showed relationships between kernel size and location/cultivar that the scientist we had be working with confirmed are well known in rye breeding. I was extremely cool to learn that I was uncovering other, new relationships as well.
I would like to expand this project to cover more portions of the data. I was very content to have the size of the ellipses have a spatial connection with the size of the kernels. Upon more learning, I’ve decided that this visualization would be equally impactful when it contains other bits of data too.